Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Books books books! x

Hiya. This is my big fat masterpost on the things I did during this extended holidays,  check them out. You may like them or you may not. Up to you, man.


Books:

Recent ones I have finished since finals:


  •  Defending Jacob by William Landy - A district attorney finds his son Jacob accused for the murder of his school friend Brian. The ending - did not  see that one coming! mind-blown. Think the story got me for a few days.

  • Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn  -  A man was suspected when his clever & rich wife Amy disappeared. This story has great twists and just when you thought you have it right...think again.

  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak  -  Another fave genre; historical fiction yey! set in Germany during the holocaust, a little girl finds solace in reading (/stealing) books. What makes this book a 5 star? (very well written! usually when you find a book so gripping you wont let earthquake stop you from reading, right? this is the book! Only, the way it was told, narrated by Death made me read this in slow motion because I couldnt imagine my life after the book ended.) Simply beautiful. 

  • The Odd series by Dean Koontz  -  About Odd Thomas who can see the dead. Yep, you know the drill - see the dead, solve crimes etc etc. What makes this novel different from any other thriller though is that it was written by Dean Koontz, who never ceased to leave me gobsmacked.

  • The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman  -  A couple lives in an island as the husband is the keeper of the light house. What happens when a simple rule is broken? Butterfly effect.

  • The Fault in Our Stars by John Green  - This one already has a post dedicated to it. Referred my previous post.

  • The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari by Robin Sharma  - A hot shot lawyer seeks peace with his inner self after an episode of heart attack. Great for motivation.


& rereading the old ones: 
  • The Mulberry Tree by Jude Deveraux - God knows how many times I've read this book. 
  • Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
  • Divergent by Veronica Roth


Pending: Haruki Murakami :)


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Television series:



Also, since finals: [ deduction: the higher the position in the list, the stronger the recommendation is ]
  • The complete seasons of Doctor Who :') - must see!
  • Supernatural back to back -must see!
  • Queen In-Hyun's Man - the best kdrama <3 li="">
  • Gaksital - amazing, must see!
  • I Hear Your Voice - not so bad
  • That Winter, The Wind Blows -not so bad
  • IRIS II -pretty much the same story line like IRIS I


Uncompleted: [ I just couldn't, nothing personal though ]
  • 7th Grade Civil Servant
  • Arang & the Magistrate 
  • Ghost



You are welcome, don't say I never did anything for you :) Feel free to recommend me things!
/hedonism


9 comments:

  1. Wait Maryam, I'm about to post the same things (books, dramas)!

    Adakah kita ada telepathic connection or just too taken aback with d extended holiday news :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha maybe. Entah2 ada bau bau bacang, ce tanye mak awak :D

    Awk boleh la elaborate kdrama sikit, saya malas. HA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenapa awak tak baca Looking for Alaska?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tak terbaca lagi, nak tgk tak pending list saya? Panjang gila kot.

    Dengarnye LfA >>>> sad than TFiOs :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear, i just decided toread the book thief!!! saw the movie trailer td and it is super awesome. :) gripping story

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yey! Fedit later let me know what you think of the book yes?

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yey! Fedit later let me know what you think of the book yes?

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought and read it, honestly I think the movie is better. I don't know. Maybe I'm a more visual kind of person and the book is not gripping enough and making me jumping up and down on my seat. But overall, it does capture the whole environment of the Holocaust from an adolescent point of view. Good reading for a young adult fiction. Love Death narration! BTW, he's FUNNY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Next in line is The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Thanks for the recommendation. You fancy young adult fiction right? well, your preferences shows that.

    xo

    ReplyDelete